IIT Bombay is, without any doubt, one of the premier institutes in India. The Institute also stands at the 44th position as per QS Ranking in Engineering and Technology. Global recognition for various colleges depends a lot on the research initiatives. And, IIT Bombay is right up there with regards to research activities like many other top colleges. So, students need to check whether any college encourages research work for their students. Based on this, they must plan for a particular college. Here, we will focus on the top 3 research initiatives taken by IIT Bombay recently, which will bolster the Technology Ecosystem in times to come.
IIT Bombay Research Initiatives with Shiv Nadar University
According to the latest reports, the team of researchers at the IIT Bombay and Shiv Nadar University designed technology for producing eco-friendly Lithium-Sulfur (Li-S) batteries. These batteries are three times much more energy-efficient and affordable as compared to the Lithium-ion batteries that are used presently. The research came at the time when the Indian government is trying harder to increase the use of electric vehicles in the country.
Bimlesh Lochab, assistant professor, at Shiv Nadar University, reveals that Li-S battery technology works on the principles of green chemistry. It uses by-products from the petroleum industry, agro-waste elements and several copolymers like cardanol, and eugenol (clove oil) as cathodic materials.
As per the researchers, this technology from IIT Bombay and Shiv Nadar University can prove helpful for several technology industries. Industries, like tech giants, drone manufacturing companies, electric vehicles, among many other sectors, can use these batteries.
Today in this hi-tech world, all things from laptops to smartphones to watches to electric cars, all products are dependent on these batteries. The introduction of these batteries will not only prove efficient in terms of energy storage, but they are also inexpensive and eco-friendly. The new battery technology creates a bio-based molecule which can be produced for commercial usage.
The latest research includes a new type of cathode for Li-S batteries that are designed using improved battery technology resulting in empowered performance levels.
IIT Bombay designs a Digital Stethoscope
IIT Bombay’s Research initiatives will help India to transform its Technology Ecosystem. Another development by the IIT Bombay includes the introduction of a Digital Stethoscope. The experts of IIT Bombay designed a digital stethoscope which can listen to heartbeats from a distance. Also, it can digitally record the same.
This is a great device designed by the experts at IIT Bombay. It helps minimize the chances of getting in contact with coronavirus patients. This device is much beneficial for healthcare professionals working across the country. The team of experts at the institute have designed this device and have now got its patent.
The data obtained through the device can be stored as a part of a patient’s health record which later can be shared with other doctors for checking the report and doing follow-ups.
The team has already delivered almost 1,000 stethoscopes to the healthcare professionals working across different hospitals and healthcare centres in India. The team at IIT Bombay aimed at making this device accessible to more healthcare experts.
Benefits of the Digital Stethoscope by IIT Bombay
The device is designed by taking clinical suggestions and inputs from doctors presently working at PD Hinduja Hospital and Reliance Hospital. With the growth in the number of coronavirus cases in India, the doctors and other healthcare professionals are at higher risk of getting affected with this virus.
1. According to one of the developers, Adarhsa K, the device includes a tube which is connected to two earpieces. The tube helps transfer sounds from the body. It lowers the noise coming from the background, which otherwise makes diagnosing the sound difficult. The data is sent wirelessly. An innovative device such as AyuSynk helps increase the physical distance between doctor and patient, which helps to lower the spread of the virus.
2. Another benefit of using this stethoscope is that it can amplify and filter different noise and can easily translate them into an electronic signal. All this offers optimal listening to the doctors, and they can hear the readings. The information obtained through this digital stethoscope which gets displayed as a phonocardiogram can easily be checked on a smartphone or laptop.
3. When compared to the traditional stethoscope, it has several advantages, including amplifying sounds, and the sound of the chest can’t be recorded not shared with others. No visualization is possible using the traditional stethoscope, and doctors were not able to view the graph and look for the abnormalities.
Hydrophilic Surfaces on Mask and PPE Kits
IIT Bombay carried out research work on how the wet droplets dry on the various surfaces like Masks and PPE kits. Two professors from IIT Bombay, Mr Rajneesh Bhardwaj and Amit Agrawal, have published their findings in Physics of Fluids. According to them, the lesser the drying time of the droplets is, the lesser will be the risk of infection. According to their findings, hydrophilic surfaces can be ideal for use on Masks and PPE kits.
Other Research Initiatives
1. Soil check (How much water is present in the soil)
2. Role of Technology in tennis
3. How to speed up computing through the Introduction of Defects in Solids
4. Origins of the Parkinson’s Disease
5. A hardware neuron can now help computers solve problems like a human brain
There is also a dedicated Research Park inside the IIT Bombay campus which provides state of art research facilities in the fields of Energy, Aviation, Semiconductors, Construction, IT and Telecom, Biotech, and many others.
From research in the field of COVID-19 to Batteries, IIT Bombay has gradually become a household name in the research field. Students can hugely benefit from studying there as they will develop research and innovative mindset there. This will lead to the overall benefit of the Indian Economy, bolster the Technology Ecosystem and encourage a Startup Culture in Tech.