The quartz movement gets its name from the fact that the battery works in tandem with a quartz crystal. The crystal is kept pulsating at nearly 32,000 vibrations per second by an electric current passed across it by the battery. This vibrating crystal powers a step motor that keeps time by moving the watch hands at a consistent speed. The accuracy of a decent quartz movement is 0.5-2 seconds per day. The battery should be replaced every one and a half years on average.
Quartz watches are generally criticized, but they are more dependable and precise than mechanical watches. They don’t need any maintenance aside from battery changes, and they’ll be more accurate than even the most expensive mechanical watches. The best part is that, aside from a few high-end quartz watches, you can get some wonderful timepieces for under $1,000 or much less.
The TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz
The TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz – WAZ1110.BA0875 is a black watch with a one-of-a-kind dial design and a genuine racing character. A steel black PVD unidirectional rotating bezel and a brushed steel band complement the 41mm brushed steel case. Sporty, shock-resistant, and 200-meter water-resistance. This quartz-powered sports watch is stylish and casual, with racetrack-ready features including a 60-minute unidirectional rotating bezel for tracking elapsed time and a double safety band clasp with driver’s extension for wearing over a racing suit.
Also, this adaptable, very masculine sports watch is driven by a Swiss-made quartz movement and is encased in 316L hypoallergenic steel that has been manually brushed to a lustrous sheen. The TAG Heuer Formula 1 is the company’s only timepiece with the red and green shield. It’s printed just below the huge 12, which in this version is mirrored by an exaggerated 6 below it.
The Advantages of Owning This Watch?
The quartz watch’s quartz crystal and battery combination are fundamental. However, the watchmaking business allows for some modification.
- Swiss quartz movements are the most accurate and long-lasting quartz watches because they combine the movement with the chassis and jewels of a mechanical watch.
- Solar-powered rechargeable batteries are available in a few quartz timepieces.
- A kinetic mechanism, similar to those used in automatic watches, is used in some quartz movements, in which a rotor generates the electrical current that powers the watch.
- The quartz mechanism does not require winding to keep it running.
- Watches with quartz movements also require fewer time adjustments and maintenance than watches with mechanical movements.
- The gears in a quartz watch rarely require lubrication.
- Quartz movements were less sensitive to shock and more durable because they had fewer moving components that may need to be repaired.
- A watch using quartz technology is extremely dependable.
- It is sturdy technology that ensures highly accurate timekeeping.
- Quartz is a very simple technology that may be scaled down and enhanced with other electronics and smart capabilities.
- Quartz timepieces are ideal for on-the-go use.
How Does a Quartz Timepiece Function?
A piezoelectric-quartz crystal, which may be mined or produced, has electrically conductive qualities at its most basic level. A sliver of piezoelectric quartz vibrates at a rate of 32,768 hertz when current from a battery is supplied to it, which may be used to accurately regulate the timekeeping of the watch, whose hands are operated by a tiny stepper motor. There’s not much to see on the rear of a quartz watch, which is one of its advantages: fewer moving parts imply less vulnerability to shock damage. The temperature, which affects accuracy, is a quartz movement’s Achilles’ heel, although certain higher-end versions brands have overcome this.
There’s also the battery, which needs to be replaced regularly. Watch batteries can now last up to 10 years, and some models charge the battery with tiny solar panels hidden beneath the dial, eliminating the need to ever open the case back.
Notable Quartz Movements
Twenty of the most prestigious Swiss watch companies banded up to combat the onslaught of Japanese and American quartz movements. They founded the Centre Electronique Horloger together (CEH). The legendary Beta 21 quartz movement was unveiled by the CEH in 1970 and can also be found in these timepieces:
- OMEGA Electroquartz
- Rolex Oysterquartz
- IWC Da Vinci
- Patek Philippe 3587
Today, some of the best quartz movements can be found in luxury timepieces and they are COSC-certified and have ten times the accuracy of a normal quartz movement.
- TAG Heuer
Why Quartz Instead of Automatic?
- Automatic watches are more expensive than quartz watches. It’s because the movements require less effort to create.
- When it comes to keeping time, quartz watches are exceptionally reliable and accurate; a decent automatic timepiece may be off by several minutes per month.
- Quartz watches are low-maintenance, requiring only the replacement of the battery every few years. While automatic timepieces do not require battery replacement, they do require service every 3-5 years.
Quartz watches are a timekeeping standard today, and they are more plentiful and widely available than any other type of watch movement. While there is a case to be made that the artistry of automatic movements is maybe finer, quartz watches are certainly not to be dismissed.
Quartz movements aren’t particularly popular among watch collectors, despite their precision. If you don’t care about mechanics or engineering, quartz is a good pick. They’re also ideal for people who live an active lifestyle or have jobs that require them to wear a watch daily. If you want low maintenance and simplicity, quartz is a good choice; it can withstand shocks without a problem.
Quartz watches, like mechanical watches, are quality-controlled, but quartz watches have less complicated components than mechanical watches. Even though quartz watches are less expensive, most men and women still like to wear them since they are reliable, sturdy, and can be worn for any event or occasion. Quartz watches provide the wearer with a wide range of options. Also, keep in mind that the TAG HEUER FORMULA ONE is one of the greatest quartz watches for 2021!