Microsoft Office 365 has been a game changer in terms of productivity. Its software allows you and your team to work wherever you want, whenever you want.
There’s one thing, however, that it does not do: back up your data. Yes, Office 365 is technically in the cloud, but it’s critical for you, your business and your clients to have a backup system that protects your most important files.
Veeam Backup and Replication might be the right solution for you. Here’s how Veeam can partner with your Office 365 subscription to back up business-critical data.
Why do you need a good backup system?
Some background before we dive into this: A backup is a copy of your data that is stored independently from the source.
Why do you need a copy? Simple: This is important because it ultimately mitigates risks and ensures peace of mind that you’ll be able to restore that data whenever necessary. That means you can access your information after a number of crises, like computer crashes or internet outages.
Some people choose to store backups on-site, which does work — but only if you have extra local storage available. Others prefer the public cloud, which is the ideal destination for Office 365 backups due to its lower cost, simpler deployment, and unlimited scale.
Wherever you do choose to store your Office 365 backup, just make sure it meets your business’ individual needs.
Why is Veeam Backup & Replication Good for Office 365?
As you shop around for a backup system, consider all the additional features Veeam Backup & Replication offers. Here’s a quick breakdown what you can do with Veeam:
- Store data based on long-term retention policies for regulatory or compliance needs.
- Ensure you recover exactly what you need — no more, no less — with granular advanced search and find functionality.
- Increase security for Office 365 backup data with multi-factor authentication.
- Enable protection of larger Office 365 deployments with a single installation, including automated scale-out of the repository to eliminate issues with maximum file size limits.
- Empower service providers to deliver Office 365 backup services.
- Minimize overhead, improve recovery time, and reduce costs with comprehensive automation via PowerShell and RESTful API support for all functionality, as well as self-service restore for service providers’ customers.
- Protect hybrid email and SharePoint deployments, and migrate mailbox data between on-premises Exchange and Office 365.
- Enable creation of consistent backups of Office 365 data to streamline eDiscovery and item-level restores.
- Perform backups of unique and localized versions of Office 365, including support for Office 365 U.S. Government (DoD and non-DoD), Office 365 Germany and Office 365 China.
How should I set up Veeam?
First, understand which package is right for you. Veeam Backup & Replication licensing is scalable beyond 6 CPU sockets to grow with your virtual environment. Veeam Backup & Replication solutions are sold per CPU socket, and there is no limit to the number of sockets you may purchase, unless you’re purchasing the Veeam Backup & Replication licenses bundled with the Management Pack for Microsoft System Center. Veeam Backup & Replication licenses with Management Pack for Microsoft System Center allow for up to 20 socket licenses to be purchased per organization.
Next, talk to your IT support or find an IT managed services partner to help you set up a backup system properly. This is a complicated process, and doing it incorrectly could easily frustrate you and set you back in terms of time and money.
For example: Your hardware could fail and you could lose everything. Or you could improperly back up your data, risking damage to your hard drives and data. A backup failure can even happen simply due to bad software.
There are a multitude of things that could go wrong. You shouldn’t have to worry or risk your data while setting up a backup system. In the long run, it saves you time, money, and energy to enlist the help of a professional.
Veeam provides fast, flexible and reliable backup and recovery for all of your data and applications. If you’re looking for information on Veeam Backup & Replication — or need help setting it up — reach out to Aventis Systems today.