The hexagon is a polygon that will include six sides and six angles, and the regular hexagon will always have six equal sides and angles will be composed of six equilateral triangles. There are several kinds of ways in which the area of hexagon can be calculated, and it will always depend upon if the students are working with a regular hexagon or the irregular hexagon.
Following is the comprehensive process of calculating the area of hexagon:
- Method one: In the case of given side length:
- When the given side length of the hexagon has been provided to the people then a regular hexagon will be comprised of six equilateral triangles in the formula will be considered as 3 into 3 root 3 s square/ 2.
- Identifying the length of one side has to be done and if the individuals are aware of the one side of the hexagon then it will become very easy to apply the formula because it requires the value to be filled about the length of the side.
- After this, individuals need to plug the value of the side length into the formula so that they can simplify the area very easily.
- Method two:Calculating the area of a regular hexagon with the help of a given apothem:
- In this particular case to find the area of hexagon the individuals need to go with the comprehensive formula which will be that area is equal to half into perimeter into the apothem.
- This can be perfectly utilised but it will only be possible if the individuals are clear about the value of apothem so that they can plug in all the values into the formula and can simplify the answer perfectly without any kind of issue.
- Method three:Calculating the area of the irregular hexagon with the help of given vertices:
- For this particular system, the individuals need to have a clear-cut idea about the X and Y coordinates of all the vertices so that they can create a comprehensive chart with two columns and seven rows.
- Everything has to be justified over here and repeating of the coordinates has to be carried out without any kind of issue.
- After this, individuals need to multiply the x-coordinate of every point with the y-coordinate of the next point so that they can fill the chart perfectly.
- After this, the students need to multiply the y-coordinate of every point with the x-coordinate of the next point so that they can indulge in the right kind of calculations.
- After this subtraction of the sum of the second group of coordinates from the sum of the first group of coordinates has to be carried out so that they can reach out and answer because the area has to be only positive. After this, the difference has to be divided by two so that one can have proper access to the right kind of value of the area of a hexagon in the square units.
Some of the most important properties that help the people in the calculation of the area of a regular hexagon are explained as follows:
- A regular hexagon will always have six sides and six angles.
- The length of all the sides and measurement of all the angles will always be equal in the cases of the regular hexagon.
- The total number of diagonals in the cases of the regular hexagon will be nine in number.
- The total sum of interior angles will be equal to be 720° where every interior angle will be having the measure of 120° in the cases of a regular hexagon.
- The sum of all the exterior angles of the hexagon will be equal to 360° where every exterior angle will be measuring 60°.
It is also very much important for the students to be clear about the formula for the perimeter of a hexagon because the perimeter is defined as the length of the boundary of the hexagon so perimeter will always be the sum of the length of all the sides and the formula will be six into the length of each side.
Calculating the area of the hexagon with the help of the grid method:
Another very important method that can be perfectly used by the kids in terms of calculating the area of a hexagon is to determine how many units where is it is taking to cover the surface. The grid of unit squares can be perfectly utilised in terms of determining the area of a hexagon and the grid will always help in giving a very accurate idea. This particular method is not only limited to the regular hexagon’s but can be used in any kind of shape because it will be the approximate value of the area. The smaller the unit Square used higher will be the accuracy of the approximation and with the help of a grid made up of 1 mm squares people will be having 10 times more accuracy in comparison to the grade made up of 1 cm squares. The formula for the area of the hexagon has been very derived with the help of the division of the hexagon into six equilateral triangles so that the area formula can be found and can be used by kids.
Apart from all the above-mentioned methods, there are also some of the other methods for calculating the area of the hexagon and for this purpose, they can depend upon calculating the area of a regular hexagon with the help of a missing triangle, with the help of other triangles, with the help of other shapes into the regular hexagon and several other kinds of things. Depending upon the above-mentioned formulas is a very good idea so that students can learn the hexagon area very perfectly and without any kind of issue. Apart from this, it is the responsibility of every parent to enrol their children on platforms like cuemath.com because the experts over their help in providing the students with the right kind of formulas along with different kinds of tips and tricks associated with the area of hexagon and area of trapezoid so that overall goals are efficiently achieved and students can fetch a good amount of marks in the examination without any kind of problem.